Progress of Animal Husbandry in the Centenary
|सोमवार, 01 फ़ेब्रुवारी 2010 12:50|
|शेवटचा बदल केलेला दिनांक बुधवार, 03 फ़ेब्रुवारी 2010 08:12|
The Department was established on 20th May 1892 in Bombay Province as “Civil Veterinary Department “Horse breeding, Veterinary health (disease control) and Veterinary education were the three main activities entrusted with it them.
Before this, a Govt. appointed committee had recommended at National level to constitute such a Civil Veterinary Department , Bombay Veterinary College was established at Parel (Mumbai) in the year 1886 for imparting veterinary education.
Agriculture and Horse-Livestock exhibitions were being organized in those days to disseminate the scientific knowledge and for popularizing improved management practices. First such exhibition was organized at Ahmednagar in the year 1885-86 in the Deccan Province. Veterinary dispensaries (under Government) were first established in the year 1892 in Dhule and Nasik Districts. The animal breeding activity was transferred to Agriculture Department in the year 1918.
In the year 1924, the horse breeding activity was separated from the Civil Veterinary Department thereby entrusting the responsibility of livestock disease control programme only with the Department. The work of diagnosis of livestock diseases was started in the year 1932 with the help of Bombay Veterinary College and through the financial assistance of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
The Premium Bull scheme got started from the year 1931-32 with an intension of improved breeding of deshi/non discript cows. Under this scheme, the improved breed bulls were crossed with the non discript cows for producing improved progeny. The progeny records as well s record of the improved bulls used for breeding were being maintained them.
The “Cattle Improvement Act “ commenced in the year 1933. This act empowered the Department to castrate all the bulls except the bulls used for breeding. Indian Council of Agricultural Research provided financial assistance for the Poultry development activity in the year 1936 through which the improved poultry breeds of white leg horn, Rhode Island Red and Black Minorca were introduced and propagated at Khadaki district Pune.
The Bombay Essential Commodities and Cattle (Control) Act come into existance in 1946 which prohibited slaughter of useful animals.
Institute of Veterinary Biological Products, was established at Pune on 19th July 1947, for manufacturing the vaccines against livestock and poultry diseases. The Bombay Animal Preservation Act later commenced in the year 1948. The work of diagnosis of animal diseases got transferred to Govt. machinery in the same year. For ensuring an effective control of the contagious diseases of animals, the Bombay Contagious Diseases of (Control) Act was commenced in the year 1948. State level Disease Investigation Laboratory was established at Pune and later under its technical guidance six regional disease diagnostic laboratories too were established for the work of diagnosis of diseases in livestock and poultry.
The programme for cattle breeding through Artificial Insemination was sanctioned as early in the year 1948. However its actual implementation got started in the year 1950. With an aim to augment milk production, use of semen of the bulls of renowned indigenous milch cattle and buffaloe breeds such as Red Sindhi, Gir, Sahiwal, Tharparkar, Murrah and Surati was being made in Artificial Insemination technique advocated for genetic improvement of local/ non discript cows and buffaloes.
Earlier, liquid semen was being used in the Artificial Insemination technology. In the year 1967 the use of semen of exotic milch breed i.e. Holstein Fresian and Jersey bulls for cross breeding the local/ non discript cows through Artificial Insemination technique for genetic improvement was commenced for a speedy increase in milk production. The frozen semen doses imported from foreign countries were used for this purpose for the first instance in the year 1968. After it was revealed that the use of frozen semen is more convenient and fruitful a frozen semen (production) laboratory was established at Pune with the Danida assistance in the year 1980. Second laboratory at Nagpur and third one at Aurangabad were established in the years 1985 and 1992 respectively.
The Bombay Veterinary Practitioners Act was enforced in the year 1956. In July 1957, Animal Husbandry Department was separated from Agriculture Department and head of the Department was designated as “Director” of Animal Husbandry Department”. Later from 5/11/1993, the post of “Director , Animal Husbandry” has been upgraded and redesignated as “Commissioner, Animal Husbandry.”
The Bombay Veterinary Council was established in the year 1957. After formation of Maharashtra State ( i.e. on 1st May 1960 ) and later subsequent upon formation of the Zilla Parishads and Panchayat Samities in the year 1962 (as per policy of decentralization of Democracy), 20 schemes of Animal Husbandry Department were transferred to Zilla Parishads.
The organization and institutional set up of Animal Husbandry Department was re-organized in the year 1984-85 . Under which, the Intensive Cattle Development Projects (ICDPs) were closed down and the posts were re-arranged to establish District Deputy Director of Animal Husbandry offices. There offices were established for all the districts as district level administrative and monitoring units. Similarly, Regional Joint Director of Animal Husbandry offices were established one for every revenue division. The post of Additional Director of Animal Husbandry was also created to assist the Director at the Directorate of Animal Husbandry for monitoring technical activities such as cross breeding programme, Artificial Insemination activity and progeny testing programme. The gazetted posts of Veterinary Officers at taluka level dispensaries were also reshuffled from these dispensaries and transferred to the monitoring units ( i.e. head quarters ) of the Regional Artificial Insemination Centres. Thus, it would be revealed that, major thrust was given to strengthen the Cattle Breeding activity and Artificial Insemination Programme during this reorganization.
In the recent past, in accordance with the directives of Govt. in Finance Department, a review of all the posts in Animal Husbandry Department was taken. Along with this, an exercise was also done to close down the unfruitful/time barred schemes and for expanding the veterinary health services through necessary expansion of the service outlets and redeployment of existing posts for establishing new verteinary institutions. With this, the set up of Animal Husbandry Department was again re-organised as per G.R. No. Pasampra-1001/Prakra 29/(part-iv) Padum-1 dated 20/5/2004 and even number dated 30/6/2005.
Under this recent re-organization, 1527 posts in Animal Husbandry Department which were identified as “Surplus” were abolished. Similarly, with a refreshing and rearrangement of a total no. of 1123 posts, 172 veterinary mini-polyclinics have been established at taluka level. Out of a total no. of 43 schemes, 34 schemes and 7684 posts under them have been continued in Animal Husbandry Department. 208 new veterinary dispensaries have been started for which necessary posts were made available by reshuffling and rearranging the existing/ sanctioned posts in the Department. Besides this, for the newly established four districts, the offices of District Deputy Director of Animal Husbandry and District Animal Husbandry Officer, Zilla Parishad have also been established by availing posts through rearrangement/redeployment.